Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Blood transfusion

"Jesus said to them, 'I tell you the truth,
unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood,
you have no life in you.  Whoeveer eats my flesh
and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will
raise him up at the last day.  For my flesh is real food
and my blood is real drink.  Whoever eats my flesh and
drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him. Just as the
living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one
who feeds on me will live because of me.'"
John 6:53-57 (New International Version)
 
When Jesus spoke these words, they were shocking.  Even his own disciples called this a "hard teaching" and asked "Who can accept it?" (John 6:60)  And, as a result of this teaching, "many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him." (John 6:66)
 
Powerful, life-changing statements are controversial.  There is a lot at stake when a person believes and acts on such a statement.  In this case, Jesus was talking about an entire blood transfusion, changing from one family line to another. From one inheritance to another.  Our original bloodline is "of the flesh", separated from God.  Through Jesus, God offers us a new bloodline, "in the Spirit", which is united with God.
 
"For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace." Romans 8:6 (New American Standard Version)
 
Every time we take communion, we are receiving a "blood transfusion". We confess our sins of the past week and allow our cancer-filled blood to be replaced by the healthy, pure blood of Jesus Christ, who brings eternal life and joy wherever he goes!
--Posted by Mama O. 

No comments:

Post a Comment