Monday, October 1, 2012

ABIDE

"I am the vine, you are the branches;
he who abides in Me, and I in him
he bears much fruit;
for apart from Me you can do nothing."
John 15:5 (New American Standard Version)
What a joy to encounter the smiling enthusiasm of my friend, Sonia Villareal in the lobby of church first thing Sunday morning.  She was positively bubbling over with excitement over our new women's Bible study on the book of James (Tuesday mornings: 9:45-11:30 a.m., Room 405).
 
"I'm going to do all five levels," she announced to me, giving me the challenge and inspiration I need to do them alongside her.
 
The five levels include:
 
1. Watch the videos
2. Do the homework
3. Handwrite the entire book of James
4. Study the in-depth articles
5. Memorize the Book of James
 
Beth Moore gives hints on memorizing an entire book. She bases them on the acrostic of ABIDE:
 
A--Ask for the ability to memorize an entire book (God is generous! He loves to give good gifrs!)
B--Believe you can do it!
I--Increase the portion you recite each week. She recommends learning a chapter per month.
D--Determine a set time daily to practice your memory work.  You may discover a discipline in yourself that you never knew existed.  Persist.  She recommends 30 minutes a day.  This can be done while you are walking or riding an exercise bicycle.
E--Enjoy it!
 
Thanks, Sonia, for your encouragement!  We are on our way together!
--Posted by Mama O.

No comments:

Post a Comment