Thursday, December 12, 2013

The 10 Commandments

Of course, you recognize these! You've seen them before. What makes this copy so extraordinary, is, of course, as always, the "back story". I was teaching a Keyboarding class this week at Rescue The Children, the women's and children's shelter where I volunteer. One of my students wanted to be able to remember the 10 Commandments. So, we worked on creating this document in class. We worked with fonts and inserting graphics and borders and numbers--all kinds of good education in formatting, while we also worked on some memory tricks for remembering the order of the commandments. Years ago, when I helped my sons memorize these, I came up with some silly memory tricks for keeping the last five in proper sequence:
6. Do not kill (I think of  6-shooter pointed at my head)
7. Seven is God's number, the number of perfection. So many people, when you describe grace, immediately ask, "Then can I commit adultery and God will just forgive it?" Somehow, many people consider "adultery" as "the perfect sin". So, it's #7!
8. There was a cookie in the jar, and I stole it and I ate it! Hence, #8 is the the stealing commandment.
9. You can turn a 9 upside down and make it into a 6, thus, falsifying information. So, #9 deals with lying, or bearing false witness.
10. I envy my neighbor because her life is a "Perfect 10". The 10th commandment forbids coveting!
Silly, but they work for me.
"I love God's Law!" I said, when we finished our task.
"I do too," she said. "And this looks so professional!"
She is being tutored in reading and math skills currently.  "My tutor says my reading is getting much better," she said.
I told her that schools were first developed here in the United States so people could learn to read the Bible.
"Your laws are wonderful.
No wonder I obey them!
The teaching of your word gives light,
so even the simple can understand."
Psalm 119:129,130 (New Living Translation)
--Posted by Mama O.
                       


No comments:

Post a Comment