Sunday, December 22, 2013

Giving to Jesus

I had the privilege today of designing a custom Christmas card for a convicted felon. She has become a friend of mine, as well as a sister in Christ. She and I worked together this summer, chopping fruit and stirring boiling pots of peaches, nectarines and plums to make fruit jam. We bonded, or you might say we just stuck together with all that jam.

For a variety of reasons, this woman needed to move from Rescue The Children, where she was living, to another rehabilitation facility. I was sad to see her go, but I understood that different facilities have different strengths and weaknesses.  But, I wanted to let her know that she is still loved here at Rescue The Children. I had a lot of other things to do today: wrap gifts, clean house, watch "It's A Wonderful Life".... But I made sure I got that Christmas card made and sent because I want to give my very best to Jesus. And Jesus told us that we are giving to Him when we give to those who inhabit the fringes of society:  rehab facilities, prisons, hospitals, slums...

"'For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; naked and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.'

"Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You?'

"And the King will answer and say to them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.'" Matthew 25:35-40 (New American Standard Version)

--Posted by Mama O.

No comments:

Post a Comment