Thursday, December 19, 2013

Evil Still Shocks Me


I will hear people say “nothing surprises me anymore” when they hear of some particularly heinous act that has taken place. I guess it’s a form of self-protection from all the evil in the world. Spoken by some, it sounds more like bragging: that they have become worldly wise and jaded. But, regardless of the motive for saying it, I can’t say it myself. I am still shocked by evil. It’s not that I am so naïve that I don’t know it occurs. I have read or watched enough news accounts, watched enough crime shows and heard enough stories to know there are some dreadful things that transpire. I am shocked that people would not stop to consider the consequences, would have no fear of God or man. God is real. His love for mankind is real. His forgiveness is real. His redemption is real. All you have to do is trust and obey. There is no other way. That’s what shocks me. Why do people foolishly act as though there is another way? Don’t they know that they will have to account for every word they have spoken, every deed they have done someday to a holy God? (Matthew 12:36,37; Matthew 25:32-46) If they have been covered by Jesus’ blood, all the evil actions will be erased by God’s grace and forgiveness. But, if they deny those actions and evil motives or try to blame other people or circumstances for their own choices, there will be no covering for their guilt. (Hebrews 10:26-31; Revelation 22:14,15) That’s what shocks me. Why would you choose to do evil when there is another choice? And there always is!
“But remember that the temptations that come into your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will keep the temptations from becoming so strong that you can’t stand up against it. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you will not give in to it.” Hebrews 10:13 (New Living Translation)

--Posted by Mama O.

No comments:

Post a Comment