Saturday, January 25, 2014

Her

Her

Her

‎2hr 0min‎‎ - Rated R‎‎ - Romance/Drama‎
Director: Spike Jonze - Cast: Joaquin Phoenix, Rooney Mara, Olivia Wilde, Amy Adams, Samantha Morton
Set in the Los Angeles of the slight future, the story follows Theodore Twombly, a complex, soulful man who makes his living writing touching, personal letters for other people. Heartbroken after the end of a long relationship, he becomes intrigued with a new, advanced operating system, which promises to be an intuitive entity in its own right, individual to each user. Upon initiating it, he is delighted to meet "Samantha," a bright, female voice, who is insightful, sensitive and surprisingly funny. As her needs and desires grow, in tandem with his own, their friendship deepens into an eventual love for each other.
(Source: Her Google Search)

So, I went to see this movie on Thursday afternoon. Steve joined me, but he didn't get there 'till I'd polished off the first bucket of popcorn (I'm not kidding--ask my family how much I love popcorn!)

I highly recommend it. And I'd love to discuss it with you. It raises so many philosophical questions. I think people have long fallen in love with personalities before they encountered the physical being of the beloved. Today this happens on the internet. In years past, it happened through letters. Difference here is that "Samantha's" personality will never have a body, or be human. 

There was one scene that I found deeply disturbing, as well. But, I won't discuss it here. Watch the move. Then we'll talk.

I'll throw out one question:

"How much of the "WHO" of "who we are" is personality and how much is physical body?"

--Posted by Mama O.

No comments:

Post a Comment