Monday, March 10, 2014

A New Smile

My sister in Christ, Evaleigh Medina, and her new smile!

I got a wonderful surprise phone call on Saturday morning.  My sister in Christ, Evaleigh Medina, was calling me from San Francisco, where she is living in a drug and alcohol rehabilitation facility. Evaleigh began her most recent journey out of addiction at Rescue The Children, a Christian-based program here in Fresno, run by The Fresno Rescue Mission. But, sometimes other facilities have more to offer clients with multiple needs, and a San Francisco program was a better fit for Evaleigh. Since moving north, she has maintained relationships here in Fresno, and we are blessed to keep in touch. She called me, in particular, to tell me about her new smile, and to text me a picture of it. She had lost some of her teeth due to the damage done during years of substance abuse. Then, she developed breast cancer while she was in prison. The cancer treatments further damaged her bottom teeth, leaving her mouth pretty vacant. She was fitted with dentures in prison, but they always fit poorly. Due to the connections of a Fresno-area dental hygienist, Evaleigh was introduced to a Bay Area dentist who fitted her with a new smile, and this one fits her perfectly!

Sin and abuse of our bodies has consequences. But God is the Redeemer, and he can restore joy and beauty where there has been loss and destruction!

"How blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven,
Whose sin is covered!
When I kept silent about my sin, my body wasted away
Through my groaning all day long.
I acknowledged my sin to Thee,
And my iniquity I did not hide;
I said, 'I will confess my transgressions to the Lord';
And Thou didst forgive the guilt of my sin.
Many are the sorrows of the wicked;
But he who trusts in the Lord, lovingkindness will surround him.
Be glad in the Lord and rejoice you righteous ones,
And shout for joy all you who are upright in heart."
Psalm 32: 1,3,5,10,11 (New American Standard Version)
--Posted by Mama O.

No comments:

Post a Comment