Thursday, November 15, 2012

Me, show favoritism?

"My brothers, as believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ, don't show favoritism."
James 2:1 (New International Version)
 
Last Saturday night, I signed up to help with the high school band's Chuck Wagon, where we serve dinner to our band members before a performance.  When I arrived, I encountered a woman who I'd met in a class I'd been taking recently.  She didn't seem as delighted to see me as I thought she should (I admit to my shame), so I began to ignore her.  It was subtle, but I began to give attention to the other people I knew and leave this woman to her own resources, even though she was new to the group.  I wish I could tell you that I quickly caught myself and corrected my attitude of showing "favoritism" to those who paid me the kind of attention I wanted to receive.  But, I didn't really come under conviction until after the fact.
 
It was a very subtle form of "showing favoitism".  It didn't involve any special favors granted to anyone.  It just involved not being very friendly or welcoming to someone. 
 
Thank goodness, James, himself, our teacher in this course on Christian conduct, says, "We all stumble in many ways" (James 3:2 New International Version). That means I'm in good company.  But, I'm also sorry that I didn't show a friendlier, kinder spirit on Saturday night.  I know I'll have another opportunity to show a good attitude, if not to that particular woman, to someone else.  And I pray that I'll learn a lesson, to not show favoritism based on how I think I should be treated.  If you think about it, pray for me!  I could use it!
--Posted by Mama O.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment