Monday, June 23, 2014

Opportunity Camp

(Front to back) Brenna Mason, Taegan Frame, Kally Nauheimer, Andrew Ocheltree, Jericho Locke, Jordan Lewis, Jacob Locke (Members of College Church of Christ's high school and college groups who served as staff at the 2014 Opportunity Camp in the Santa Cruz Mountains.)


Andrew and Steve Ocheltree and Jericho Locke. Steve prays over these two young men who spent the last week ministering to inner-city youth.



Thank you, Andrew Ocheltree and Jericho Locke, for sharing with the Ocheltree Shepherding Group on Sunday. These two young men were part of a group of high school and college students who spent the past week ministering to inner-city youth at Opportunity Camp at Daybreak Camp, Inc.,  in the Santa Cruz mountains. Opportunity Camp provides a week of camping experience for young people who live in extreme poverty and often with various kinds of abuse. For one week out of the year, these young people get to be "kids", in an environment where all their needs for food and safety and shelter are taken care of. While the camp is not meant to be a "therapy" camp, primarily, there is a lot of therapeutic activity taking place, from games and Bible studies to the personal attention the campers receive from the camp staff. Counselor-to-camper ratio in the cabins was approximately 2 campers to one staff member, according to Jericho and Andrew. The student staff members from College Church of Christ went through two days of training before working with these youngsters, who exhibited various symptoms of living in poverty and abuse. At the end of the week, campers were tearful as they said good-bye. As one camper worded it, "It's a year too long for a week too short." We are proud of our young people who spent last week loving others who come from very different backgrounds than their own. God bless you!

Andrew Ocheltree's post on Facebook after his return read: "This was only my second year in Opportunity Camp and I know that I will be going back next year. This was an amazing experience and I have learned so much. Thank you to everyone who made this experience amazing. P.S. Homeboys for life."

Brenna Mason posted these words after her return: "I'm home from Opportunity Camp! I always say this is one of my favorite weeks of the year, and this week proved that. It's a tough week, but oh so worth it. Those kids have taught me how to smile no matter what, how to love unconditionally, and how to be a kid even in the midst of chaos. I wouldn't trade this week for the world!"

"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.' Then these righteous ones will reply, 'Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?" And the King will say, 'I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!'" Matthew 25:34-40 (New Living Translation)

--Posted by Mama O.

No comments:

Post a Comment