Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Who does the work?

I am now a chiropractic patient.

Everything in life is connected.  And, I firmly believe that my chiropractic status is tied the amount of time I am spending in front of a computer screen these days looking through bifocals, which cause me to crane my neck.  I have an appointment with the optometrist tomorrow to get new, non-bifocal glasses as well.

Anyway, I was getting a chiropractic adjustment on my neck last week when the chiropractor lifted my head from underneath.  I felt him lifting and thought I would help.  He said, "Let me do the work!"

He has given me muscle-strengthening exercises to do at home.  I have a part to play in the healing process.  But, when it is time for him to work, then I must let him work!

I was struck with the similarity to God's work of healing our souls from sin.  Certain parts of the process are in the "expert hands of God":

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast."  Ephesians 2:8,9 (New International Version)

Certain jobs are given to us, to help us strengthen our faith muscles:

"...continue to work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose." Philippians 2:12b,13 (New International Version)

"You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did.  And the scripture was fulfilled that says, 'Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.' and he was called God's friend.  You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone."  James 2:20-24 (New International Version)

Like a good chiropractor, God heals us through a combination of some work that He alone can do, and some healing, strengthening exercises that we must do ourselves.

I've gotta go--I have strengthening exercises to do...

--Posted by Mama O.

No comments:

Post a Comment